OT - Journaling File Systems?

Mike scopeguy at postman.net
Thu Apr 29 19:17:44 UTC 2004

Hi All,

If I remember correctly, the person who started this thread several days ago
found that the XFS file system could sometimes lose large amounts of data when
there was a complete loss of power (plug pulled from wall). I found a
reference to XFS on the Gentoo site, saying that this is the case with XFS
because it caches in-transit data in RAM.
Given the typical user of SGI machines, complete loss of power is probably
unlikely, so this may have been considered a reasonable design compromise.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4#doc_chap4

Mike S
--
"Better to light a candle than to curse the damn darkness" - Willow Rosenberg

Free Internet WebMail (http://www.postman.net/)
Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org/)