Yum update path problem for switchdesk 3.9.8-18 -> 4.0.2-1

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Thu Apr 29 20:14:07 UTC 2004

Yum did not recognize switchdesk-4.0.2-1 as being a valid update for
switchdesk-3.9.8-18 on a Rawhide system updated to the test3 Rawhide
freeze.  The newer version was ignored, requiring a rpm -e --nodeps step
followed by yum install switchdesk switchdesk-gui.  I am not certain how
long this update has been ignored (3.9.8-18 is an FC1 package)...
probably as long as there has been a newer version of switchdesk.

When switchdesk, switchdesk-gnome, and switchdesk-kde are reinstalled on
my system, I can update these packages with rpm -U with no problems, so
the packages correctly remove the older version.

Yum did download the correct headers for the new version, several times
(I did clean the whole cache and try again from 2 synced mirrors).

This is a possible update path problem if anaconda is not used (yes, I
know that anaconda is the only supported means -- this is generally
useful information dissemination).

--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic State University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lmorgul on irc.freenode.net