ARRGH! Metacity is killing me.

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Fri Apr 30 04:42:55 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 12:27 +0800, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 12:11, Matthew Miller wrote:

> > There's got to be a way. What am I missing here? Or should I just ditch
> > GNOME entirely and go back to my happy little Window Maker world?

You should investigate XFCE4 which does a very nice job of mixing 'light
weight' configurable managers with 'gnome-esque' niceties.  I am
currently running XFCE4 with the gnome-panel as well, its very nice
(full vfs menus at my disposal and all the tweaking I desire).

> Well. I *like* metacity, but I thought I'd try to change it to sawfish
> just to see if it still works. Sawfish is already installed as part of
> an "@ Everything" install of FC2-test3, so I thought I would try this
> one liner:
>
> $ killall -v metacity && sawfish
>
> What do you know, it worked. Log out and save changes on exit. Logged
> back in, and sawfish is still there. Might not be the best/approved way
> of doing it, but it works for me.
>
> Oh, and using ALT-Drag, it seems you can move the window up off the top
> of the screen using Sawfish, too.
>
> --
> Chris Kloiber

I did exactly that since metacity showed up in the first place, but now
sawfish is showing its age.  One example is that does not play nicely
with the gnome pager applet (something I could overlook since I used
only keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops).  Metacity definitely has
improved, but I would like to see more user configuration options added
to it now, perhaps an 'advanced' mode to the preferences, where the
power of sawfish was returned to the user.
--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic State University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lmorgul on irc.freenode.net