6-in-1 usb card reader can read Memstick but not CF in fc2test3

Yusuf Goolamabbas yusufg at outblaze.com
Fri Apr 30 05:16:04 UTC 2004

Hi, I have a 6-in-1 USB card reader and a 4MB CF card and a 128MB Memory
Stick. When I plug this in my fc2test3 box, I see all the slots in my
card reader being picked up by the kernel (yeah, I don't have to monkey
with the MULTI_LUN) stuff but it only seems to detect the Memory Stick
prescence and not the CF card. When I click on the "Computer" icon on
the desktop, I am only shown a memorystick icon and I can mount that volume
by right-clicking on that icon

The same card reader when taken to a
Windows 2000/XP box has no problem reading both the CF/Memory stick

uname -a

Linux fc2test3 2.6.5-1.327 #1 Sun Apr 18 04:51:55 EDT 2004 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

Output from dmesg

usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 2
usb 1-2: device not accepting address 2, error -71
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 3
usb 1-2: device not accepting address 3, error -71
PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:0f.0 (0104 -> 0105)
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 0000:00:0f.0
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 4
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
  Vendor: Generic   Model: USB Storage-SMC   Rev: 0180
  Vendor: Generic   Model: USB Storage-CFC   Rev: 0180
  Vendor: Generic   Model: USB Storage-MMC   Rev: 0180
  Vendor: Generic   Model: USB Storage-MSC   Rev: 0180
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
SCSI device sdb: 7873 512-byte hdwr sectors (4 MB)
sdb: assuming Write Enabled
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdb:scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 1, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 00 1e
c0 00 00 01 00
Current sdb: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense: Unrecovered read error
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 7872
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 7872
scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 1, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 00 1e c0 00
00 01 00
Current sdb: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense: Unrecovered read error
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 7872
Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 7872
 sdb1
Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
Attached scsi removable disk sdc at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 2
Attached scsi removable disk sdd at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 3
USB Mass Storage device found at 4
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

[root at fc2test3 root]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Generic  Model: USB Storage-SMC  Rev: 0180
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01
  Vendor: Generic  Model: USB Storage-CFC  Rev: 0180
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 02
  Vendor: Generic  Model: USB Storage-MMC  Rev: 0180
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 03