X.org

Arkannis arkannis at l33tnet.com
Fri Apr 30 08:31:15 UTC 2004

Wayne Steenburg wrote:

>>Xfree is gone already -- xorg has taken over in FC2 Test3.
>>
>>http://xfree86.org/distro-support.html
>>
>>Lists the stragglers... note who is NOT on the list.
>>

><Snip>
>
>Who's carrying XFree86 4.4.0?
>The list changes weekly, as more and more leading-edge distros release
>their new versions and others, unfortunately, cave to growing pressure
>against us. So show your support for XFree86 and freedom by supporting
>these distros...
>
><Snip>
>
>Odd, I thought freedom was about making choices, not using a particular
>package :)

Funny that, so did I. Personally I'm sold on X.org's package, as for the
first time ever, I can install Fedora Core, and actually get dual-head
to work on my Radeon. Yay! That was one of my major barriers to total
Windows abandonment.

The other one is games, and it does seem to still have less than perfect
3d acceleration, near as I could tell. I'll have to mess around xf86...
er xorg.conf, and see if I can get that working.

Arkannis