images/bootdisk.img

Matt Hansen helios82 at optushome.com.au
Fri Apr 30 08:39:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 16:41, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:16:23 +1000, Matt Hansen
> >Just another way to get the linux rescue environment without having
> > to download the entire CD1?
> there is more than one way? i thought rescuecd.iso was pretty much the
> only 'easy' way to get the same rescue environment as found on cd1.
>
> A lot of people like doing a net install and dont want to pull down
> the full isos.
> rescuecd.iso gives those people the utility of the rescue environment
> without pulling down all of cd1. boot.iso is even smaller and is
> useful for people who know they don't need the rescue environment.

Up to this point I was about to respond with "yerr right!". Those who
"think" they don't need a rescue environment are the very ones who
*will* dearly need one at some particular point in the future. "The boot
epoch!" <g>

>  The
> inclusion of rescuecd.iso as a smallish image, i would wager is going
> to save a few people butts once they get into trouble after doing a
> net based install. But i would also wager, no matter how much effort
> we put into trying to tell people about rescuecd, they will prefer to
> take the very small boot.iso image for net installs...until they get
> burned by a bad config and need the rescue environment.

And then you spoke this piece of wisdom. :-) +1 agreed.

> -jef"humanity prefers to learn the hard way"spaleta

Heh. I have always liked your interesting interwined comment sign-offs.
And how true this particular one is...

Regards,
-Matt "can't think of anything as good as jeff's quotes"Hansen.
--
"Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
 - Bob Young on the benefits of the open source development model.