ARRGH! Metacity is killing me.

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Fri Apr 30 12:26:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 08:52:09AM -0300, Ben Steeves wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 06:42, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 12:11:43AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > > The question is: how can I change the window manager Gnome uses to something
> > > a little more _flexible?
> >
> > I found no way to integrate Enlightenment as nice as in RH 6.2 and
> > 7.x anymore. Metacity sucks hard, agreed. I know the blues. Voiced it
> > here before IIRC. :-)
> >
> > Especially that you can't just drag windows to adjacent workspaces.
>
> You can... in the pager, if you really want to drag, or with the window
> menu ("Move to Workspace Right/Left or Move to Workspace X").

But that's not what I want. I want to take the window on the top mover
bar or anywhere else with ALT, and just push it to adjacent workspaces.

> > Or force window stacking ("always on top") for certain windows.
>
> Yes, you can.  I'm running metacity-2.8.0-1 and there's an "On Top"
> option in the window menu.

> Metacity might not be everything to everyone, but it's lightweight,

I wonder why my P3-650 392M RAM Laptop under FC1 GNOME+Metacity feels
slower than my old desktop P2-350 256M RAM with RH 6.2 GNOME+Enlightenment.
And the "snappiness" of my new desktop (P4-2600, 1G RAM) doesn't
actually impress me, compared to the old desktop.

> a lot of reasonable features, and is easy to use.  But Linux *is* all
> about choice... of applications.  Not necessarily cramming every choice
> into every application.  Use a different WM.

The problem is the WM integration. Metacity is tightly integrated
into the GNOME desktop as Enlightenment was in the RH 6.2/7.x age.
I find no way to integrate E again into current FC1 GNOME. Either
I'll use GNOME+Metacity, or I'll use plain Enlightenment (which sucks
too). What I'm missing is the integrated GNOME+E environment.

Best regards,
Daniel