images/bootdisk.img

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Apr 30 13:29:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 16:16 +1000, Matt Hansen wrote:
> Any reason why there's no description for the "rescuecd.iso" in that
> README? boot.iso and diskboot.img are mentioned, what about
> rescuecd.iso?

Because it's not present always.  It's not put onto the actual CDs as
the space trade-off (you already have the data) isn't really worth it.
I'd actually rather get rescuecd.img into the iso directory, since it
makes more sense there in a lot of ways.

> I for one had an obvious idea that it was for a "rescue
> cd" but wasn't completely sure 'till I loopback mounted it to inspect
> its contents.. BTW, what's the difference between this ISO and "linux
> rescue" at a boot: prompt? I.e. what is the purpose of providing this
> ISO? Just another way to get the linux rescue environment without having
> to download the entire CD1?

Yep, basically.  It can also be used for kicking off a network install
if you boot with 'linux' instead of just hitting enter.  This is good
for graphical FTP/HTTP installs on machines with less RAM as you don't
have to pull the 70 meg second stage into RAM and can instead use the
copy on the CD.

Jeremy