ARRGH! Metacity is killing me.

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Fri Apr 30 14:28:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 11:05, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 10:57:38AM -0300, Ben Steeves wrote:
> > > Okay, fine. But is killing the current one and running a new one _really_
> > > the solution? It's very counter-intuitive that a temporary change like
> > > running a program will *stick*. *Where* is it definined? (And what happens
> > > if you do something like that by accident -- where do you repair it?)
> > I change WMs in gnome-session-properties.
>
> Ah, okay, that's getting somewhere! Thank you. Is that on the menu anywhere?
> Hmmm. Can removing things, but can't easily add.... okay, something to play
> with. Thanks!

Hrm.  It used to be under "More Preferences" in the Preferences menu,
but it's not now... at least on my frankentest system (I haven't had a
chance yet to do a clean FC2T3 install).  Anyway, this is what I just
did to get sawfish installed:

1. Open up a terminal.
2. run 'gnome-session-properties'
3. Current Session Tab
4. Find Metacity, change it from "restart" to "normal" and hit apply.
5. Hit "Remove"
6. Start sawfish ("sawfish &" in the terminal)
7. Find Sawfish in the gnome-session-properties window and change it
from "normal" to "restart".

Window managers are funky because you can't run more than one at a
time... that makes switching them a little tricky.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves