Fix/Workaround for laptop Xwindows lockage

Mike Lee mlee at mtech.edu
Fri Apr 30 14:54:12 UTC 2004

To all,

	I saw many postings on the listserver regarding Xwindows
resolution problems and lockage.
	I myselft have been having the same problem:

->	When booting, the nice boot screen (fram buffer) is jittery
and only displays on half the page.
->	When the system boots and I choose to "log out" of gnome or
kde desktop, the OS locks and the screen keeps getting brighter.
The thing to do at this point is either rip the batter out or
hold the power button down for a while to cycle the system.

	Last night I have found a fix/workaround that seems to be
working to fix both problem above.
	First you need to know the correct resolution your laptop screen
was built for.  For example, my Dell Inspiron is meant to do
1400x1050 .  In my xorg.conf file I noticed that it had only
1024x768, 800x600, 640x480 as the resolutions.  So I added
1400x1050 as the default.  I was then able to view the screen at
the correct resolution, but still had lockage.
	So, I removed all resolution settings and only kept the
1400x1050.  Now the boot screen looks perfect and no lockage
when logging out.
	From my work, it seems that when you log out of a desktop, Xorg
tries to cycle/test the different resolutions and that is what
locks the system up.  Also I found other listings regarding
DDC/laptop issues.  I don't know much about the DDC stuff (only
that some laptops support it and some dont), so if anyone else
can maybe think why this is and explain it to the rest of us.
By only having one resolution setting, it does not try others.
	Works for me.  Now I can use the system without cursing it.
Hope this helps.
	To all that contributed to Fedora and Linux in general; Great
Job!

Mike Lee
--
Director Services - The NewMedia Group