header/RPM mismatch

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 30 15:08:31 UTC 2004

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero said:

> <RANT ON>
> But both tools should be using the same config file!!!

So yum should loose features and use up2date's config file (not very
portable to non-RH systems), or should up2date loose features (RHN, apt
support) so it can use yum's config file?

> and the master site and the mirror site should be
> consistent within themselves ie. I better have the RPM that
> my hdr file points at.  Ie. copy header files last.

So set up multiple rsync jobs and have a human check that the first is done?

> Also I don't think, by design you should allow either system to 'get into
> a mode' where the various tables, databases and directories can 'get out
> of sync' like this.
>
> And while I'm at it...  This business about three different updating tools
> that
> use three different techniques, and 3 different stores, is a piece of ...
> Pick one and throw the rest away.

Yes, I think you should pick one and throw the rest away.  Fedora
shouldn't because different people like different packages.  What's this
business with multiple GUIs?  multiple editors?  multiple browsers?

For that matter, Fedora only ships two (up2date and yum) and both are
using the same format for backend repos by default.

--
William Hooper