Hypertreading faster myth or truth?

James Olin Oden joden at lee.k12.nc.us
Fri Apr 30 17:28:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Christian B. Ellsworth Capo wrote:

> Intel says that a cpu with HT turned on is faster, but is that true for
> Linux? and for FC2 as well?, I have seen some @intel.com posts so a
> Intel Inside view could be very interesing.

It completely depends on your mix of applications.  The linux schedular
does take into account hyperthreading, but hyperthreading basicly works
on the basis that you have an even mix of instrctions (floats, integer,
memory, ect), and thus the intel processor can interleave this different
types of instructions making it appear like you have two processors
per real processor.  That said if you don't have that even mix of
instructions, then things can get slow.

My experience thus far on RH 9, has been that it works great, but
maybe I am just getting lucky with my application mix.

Cheers...james