Unable to connect to internet

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Sat Aug 21 22:41:35 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 18:34, Scott Talbot wrote:

[snip]

> > What does your /etc/resolve.conf say?  Are you using a static IP or DHCP?
>
> Thanks William, that waas it.  Somehow the resolv.conf file was wiped
> clean (didn't even have the remark line about being generated
> by /sbin/dhclient-script.
>
> Just curious though, since I'm DHCP doesn't that get run each log-on?
> Oh well, more questions!

  Not at every login, but yes on every reboot.  Your /etc/resolv.conf
will probably get wiped out every time you reboot or otherwise restart
networking (e.g.: 'service network restart').
  I ran into this, too, just a little while ago.  Seems to be the result
of this change:

====
ws187:iadonisi:499) rpm -q --changelog initscripts | head
* Fri Aug 20 2004 Jason Vas Dias <jvdias at redhat.com> 7.66-1

- Allow users to use generic /etc/dhclient.conf if per-device
- /etc/dhclient-${DEVICE}.conf is non-existent or empty

* Fri Aug 20 2004 Jason Vas Dias <jvdias at redhat.com> 7.66-1

- Preserve "options" settings in resolv.conf (bug 125712)

* Fri Aug 20 2004 Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> - 7.65-1
====

  So it looks like it could have to do with one of the last two
changes.  Has this been bugzilla'd?

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator