Evolution-Data-Server

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Tue Aug 3 18:48:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 07:43 +0200, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 08:35 +0200, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> just saw, that evolution-data-server is shipped with fc3. i just found something on internet, that it is for
> >> centralisation of adressbook and calendar. Does somebody have something more detailled?
> >
> > evolution-data-server is the bit of Evolution that handles calendars,
> > tasks and contacts, which has been split out into a separate package so
> > that other programs can access and manipulate the data.
> >
> > AFAIK there aren't any other packages in Fedora using this, though
> > there's a patch for gnome-panel to make your appointments and tasks
> > appear in the Panel's calendar; this would add a dependency on e-d-s to
> > gnome-panel.  The current Fedora gnome-panel packages don't use this
> > AFAIK.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> Thanks Dave,
>
> This would mean, that you can install e-d-s on a separate machine for your whole network and serve and calendar and
> adressdata from a central point of view??

Unfortunately not, right now.  e-d-s is really only designed to
aggregate all of _one user's_ sources of contacts, calendar info and
tasks, and make it available to the various programs running on that
machine.  So, despite the title, it's more of a client-side thing, a bit
like the way the X server runs on a client, that always confuses me :-)

It should be possible to access this stuff remotely via Bonobo via
CORBA, but AFAIK no-one's written such a thing.  You could even
integrate this into e-d-s, with a "Share my Calendar" feature... perhaps
a pet project for someone?  This could be a way to get shared calendars
going on a small network where you don't want to set up a fully-blown
groupware server.

Dave