what's with the commas in the cyrus-imapd release tag?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Aug 3 20:07:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 15:36, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
>   Subject says it all.  Is this a new naming convention, or did someone
> fat finger the Release tag?  I haven't checked bugzilla yet, but just
> figured I'd check to see if anyone else saw this.  It wouldn't matter to
> me one way or the other, except that it confuses the heck out of yum:

Well, that's a shame. We've been trying to come up with ways to encode
more information into the release field without breaking other tools.
FWIW n-v-r use the final two hyphens to separate (delimit) the name,
version, and release fields. Non-alphanumerics within each of those
fields (e.g. punctuation) separates each of those fields into sub
components that are pairwise compared for collating purposes (e.g.
version comparison). The comma format in the release field adheres to
these rules and parses and collates correctly using the version
comparison mechanism in rpm while allowing us to encode more
information.

It would be a shame to break a popular tool such as yum, but on the
other hand encoding more information into the release component is such
a worthy goal (we can debate its format) that perhaps we should consider
in the near term enhancing yum's parsing logic to be consistent with the
rules used by rpm.

John