what's with the commas in the cyrus-imapd release tag?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Aug 4 05:00:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 12:09:09AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 21:03 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >
> > I think that colon ':' may be safe but
> > underscore '_' may be another candidate.  This needs some thought and
> > checking.  Does not seem to be many possible candidates.
> >

> : is a bad idea - it's used to find epochs frequently in a completely
> specified epoch-included version string

I realize that.  But in this case this would be a part of "rel"
string.

> normally it's
>
> epoch:name-ver-rel.arch

So you will get epoch:name-ver-relA:relB:relC.arch

Quite hard to understand in a wrong way.  Unless, of course, some
tools will get spooked by this.  It is really find something "safe"
for various situations.  '@' may work.  It should not show up in
contexts where it can be misinterpreted by shell or by Perl (one
hopes :-).

   Michal