what's with the commas in the cyrus-imapd release tag?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Aug 4 15:56:00 UTC 2004

> Usually, multiple dependencies can be separated with a comma:
>   Requires: foo = 1.0, bar = 2.0
> Now if the package's EVR contains a comma, this breaks that format

My goodness, a quite unanticipated consequence, but good detective work
on everyone's part. It's easy to see now how a comma as a separator can
create a parsing problem in another location.

I will rebuild the packages in question with a different separator.

But what separator? It would be good to pick a separator that would not
likely appear in a distribution name, that eliminates dot and
underscore. Colon is out because it's used to separate epochs. Any
operator character would also be a poor choice because most parsing code
would see this as "identifier operator identifier". This then leaves a
set of single punctuation characters that are pretty ugly or are
commonly reserved for shell usage (e.g. globing characters, quoting,
expansion, etc.) A fundamental goal should be to be able give an RMP
name on the shell command line and not have to quote it. At this point
we've pretty much eliminated every possible character.

So all of a sudden dot (.) is beginning to look like a pretty good
choice and there is certainly lots of precedence for it as well as some
earlier requests for dot from others, so dot it will be.

New packages should show up in rawhide in a few hours.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>