what's with the commas in the cyrus-imapd release tag?

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 4 21:14:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 09:36, John Dennis wrote:

> Sorry, I missed the fact you were suggesting a non 7bit ASCII character,
> now that would create problems :-)

Well, Arjan released a test kernel package (I think only on
people.redhat.com) which ended in γ or possibly some other greek letter
:). I think it kind of mostly worked but broke some tools (was it Apt?)?
I believe that the package was at least installable, but it's probably
not exactly a "safe bet" anyways.

I can't really see why the underscore is so bad if you want a
subseparator though, dots more or less work but you've got to think to
make sure that further updates don't end up getting ordered incorrectly.
Why would underscores be used in distribution tags? It seems that
reasonable tags for what we have is RHLN (basically not particularly
relevant to Red Hat or Fedora apart from Legacy now), AS21, RHEL3
(presumably continued as RHELN with N integer), FCN, etc. It doesn't
seem to me that making allowances for possible future weirdness is
particularly valuable when all that needs to be done is to choose
sensible tags in the future.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University