Laptop Docked/Undocked Profile Manager

Steve Fink stevef at netvantix.com
Fri Aug 6 13:04:24 UTC 2004

Hello Everyone,

I posted this question to Fedora User List so for those of you
subscribed to both, sorry.

Is it possible to build a profile manager for laptops?

  For example:

I want to be able to create different hardware profiles for my laptop to
be undocked, docked into dock #1, and docked into dock #2.

Currently kudzu runs and either adds or removes hardware based on which
dock I'm in or undocked as the case may be.

I have to type in the new network info each time and it's time
consuming. If I undock and miss the kudzu screen my laptop locks up
because the SCSI interface is missing.

Is there a way to accomplish this with kudzu or possibly just have kudzu
pass some hardware info to a secondary app that stores the profiles and
compares them then drops in all of the configuration info from there?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Best,

Steve