boot.iso with a different kernel?

ehoover at mines.edu ehoover at mines.edu
Sat Aug 7 04:57:34 UTC 2004

> Here's a quick question, hopefully someone can point me at a reference (or
where
> to start), google has been unhelpful.
>

> I have a system I have to bring up using a custom kernel, is it possible to
boot
> from said custom kernel in a way that allows me to run the FC2/3T1 installer?
>
> In essence, the real question is, is there a way to use a kernel *other* than
> the installation media kernel/boot.iso kernel to launch the fedora installer?
>
> I can replace the *installed* kernel at runtime via kickstart, it's just the
> installer boot kernel that's an issue.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Ken Snider

You can create a boot disk/boot cd and launch the installer from that.  If you
have another RedHat install CD that can boot correctly then you can use that by
taking out the CD when you get to the menu and replacing it with the CD1 you
actually want to install from (this is a good trick with some of the early
Fedora releases that don't work in older CD drives).