what's with the commas in the cyrus-imapd release tag?

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Mon Aug 9 01:13:31 UTC 2004

Hello John,

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 22:07, John Dennis wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 15:36, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> >   Subject says it all.  Is this a new naming convention, or did someone
> > fat finger the Release tag?

> Well, that's a shame. We've been trying to come up with ways to encode
> more information into the release field without breaking other tools.

You should subscribe to the fedora-devel list. This was mentioned by
Matthias Saou regarding dovecot on the 1st of July
(http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-July/msg00016.html). I asked about standardization of versioning in http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-July/msg00050.html . Did you consider the consequences of using a comma in the version string? Did you query other developers before implementing? Why didn't you discuss this on list before implementing? Yet another area that might need some explicit definitions.

Leonard.