Problem with update on FC3test1

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Wed Aug 11 01:48:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 20:46 -0400, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> I installed FC3T1 yesterday and when running up2date (showing >300
> packages) it hangs.  I see the list of available package updates,
> select
> all or even select just 2, I get the "Testing package set / solving
> RPM
> inter-dependencies" progress dialog and then it just sits there.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  A bug?  Haven't seen anything on the
> list
> about this.
>
> Thanks.

	Probably just overworked servers. Pay close attention to the mirror you
are connecting to (it shows up in the box when you first connect to the
mirror, prior to downloading headers.  I will restart up2date a time or
three until I get a good mirror.  BTW it won't matter very much if you
select 2 or 100 packages, as you have to first download all of those
headers (all available, whether upgrading or not, just the way it
works).

	I also have the best luck late at night and early in the morning
(download speed is amazing, I sometimes get peaks of nearly 600kb/s at
the best times and the worst times I barely get 100!).  Best to just
keep trying though if the download speed drops to below 10 kbps you'll
probably get an error and get kicked off.  Don't worry though you'll
pick up where you left.

Scott