fedora-test-list Digest, Vol 6, Issue 20

David V Herman dvherman at bigfoot.com
Wed Aug 11 13:50:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 19:47 -0400, wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:48:12 -0500
> From: Gerry Tool <gstool at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Cannot boot to any kernel since yesterday's updates
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>
> As described in
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-
> August/msg00251.html,
> kernel 2.6.7-1.509 has a kernel panic.
>
> The other kernels, 503, 501, 499 and 494 now all stall on "Mounting
> USB
> filesystem".  Some of these kernels had this problem in the past, but
> until yesterday, kernel 503 was working great on my system.  It
> doesn't
> matter if I have any USB media inserted.  Either way, it will not get
> past that init line.
>
> I don't know how to fix the problem so that I can boot to FC3T1 and
> continue testing.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gerry Tool

Kernel 509 also does not boot for me.  messages are

. . .
Red Hat nash version 4.0.0 starting
mkrootdev: label   not found
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
switchroot: mount failed : 22
kernel panic: attempted to kill init!

System required reset to restart, previous versions of the kernel boot
and function.

System configuration
Athlon 64 2800+
512 M
SATA (system drive)
MSI-K8TM (Motherboard)
IDE ( 20MB & DVD-RW - both master on each channel)

--
David V Herman <dvherman at bigfoot.com>