Umlaut issues with Bitsream Vera Sans

Stefan Rotsch linux at stefanrotsch.de
Thu Aug 12 20:25:49 UTC 2004

Quoting Per Bjornsson:

Hi Per,

> Strange. And, as you noticed, it only happens to the ö character, not
> e.g. ä. Perhaps it is some kind of problem with the Freetype autohinter
> that is used?
It seems to be so; I don't see this on Debian, though. I'll try to
figure out whether this is an upstream bug or a Fedora-related issue.

> If you're in Germany, perhaps you could try rebuilding the Freetype
> package with the TTF bytecode interpreter turned on (apparently there's
> a switch in the code; Apple has a patent on the TTF bytecode
> interpretation so it's turned off by default, and an auto-hinting
> algorithm is used instead.) If that helps it's really very likely that
> it's the autohinter that is doing something wrong. I'll see if I can
> find time to fiddle with this as well.
Rebuilding Freetype with the bytecode interpreter enabled fixes it. Once
I'm sure it's not an upstream bug, I'll file a bug report against
Freetype.

Thanks for pointing me to a solution!

Regards,
Stefan