wrong int level running kernel-2.6.7-1.509 (5 instead of 3) - mDNSResponder?

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 13 23:36:50 UTC 2004

I have the below listed in my grub.conf file and normally the computer
boots up into 3 as desired.

title Fedora Core (2.6.7-1.509)
         root (hd1,4)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-1.509 ro root=LABEL=/1 acpi=on 3
         initrd /initrd-2.6.7-1.509.img

Today it booted up into level 5 unexpectedly. Also there were strange
messages related to ssh in the log files.

Aug 13 17:46:13 cornette-fc2 sshd: sshd -TERM succeeded
Aug 13 17:46:17 cornette-fc2 sshd:  succeeded
Aug 13 17:57:33 cornette-fc2 cups: cupsd shutdown succeeded
Aug 13 17:57:50 cornette-fc2 cups: cupsd startup succeeded
Aug 13 17:58:10 cornette-fc2 messagebus: messagebus -TERM succeeded
Aug 13 17:58:16 cornette-fc2 messagebus: messagebus startup succeeded
Aug 13 18:00:54 cornette-fc2 mDNSResponder: mDNSResponder shutdown succeeded
Aug 13 18:00:57 cornette-fc2 mDNSResponder: mDNSResponder startup succeeded

What is the mDNSResponder? I do not remember such a program before. I
was wondering if this would cause the strange reaction to the init level.

DESCRIPTION
The  mDNSResponder daemon publishes and browses available services on a
link according to the IETF Zeronconf (aka "Rendezvous") draft standard.
  Only  one  instance  of  mDNSResponder  needs  to  run  on a host.
Once  started, mDNSResponder runs continuously.

Jim

--
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and, whatever you hit,
call it the target.