wrong int level running kernel-2.6.7-1.509 (5 instead of 3)

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 14 01:22:26 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:
> I have the below listed in my grub.conf file and normally the computer
> boots up into 3 as desired.
>
> title Fedora Core (2.6.7-1.509)
>         root (hd1,4)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-1.509 ro root=LABEL=/1 acpi=on 3
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.7-1.509.img
>
> Today it booted up into level 5 unexpectedly.

I tried this out again and it booted up into runlevel 5 again. I then
changed inittab to keep runlevel 3. Before it was set to 5, but did not
give me problems booting into the wrong runlevel.

With inittab set to 3, the system boots up into runlevel 3 properly.

Is there some change with the kernel arguments? I was wondering if my
problem would be caused by the same change that the kernel panic, when
rhgb quiet is in the grub.conf arguments.

Just a curiousity.

Jim