[Request for Testing] X.Org X11 CVS rpms are now in rawhide

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 16 00:07:54 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Mike Klinke wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 15 August 2004 15:08, Jim Cornette wrote:
>>

>>> The problem with the i810 look pretty similar. I installed all the
>>> xorg-x11 rpms from the FC3T1 disc. The output of lsmod and lspci
>>> are w/ X running again. I assume your output is with X still
>>> broken.
>>>
>>> I don't dare trying these rpms on the Dell I have at work. :-)
>>>
>>> Jim
>>

>> You're correct, the logs I showed are with X broken.  I haven't
>> downgraded the xorg stuff yet to get it working again though. I was
>> holding back to see if anyone more knowledgeable than I might see an
>> easy fix and besides, the lawn mower beckoned....
>>
>> Regards Mike Klinke
>>

> To get back to the old X version. I copied all of the xorg-x11 files
> from the installation CD's into a directory on my harddrive. (Using mc
> to highlight the xorg-x11 rpms. There were parts on all 4 discs.
>
> I then tried to change to the directory where all of the rpms were
> copied, then run rpm -Fvh *.rpm --oldpackage on the rpms. This did not
> work. I then tried to run 'rpm -Uvh *.rpm --oldpackage' within the
> directory where I transferred the rpms to. This installed all of the
> earlier versions of the xorg-x11 rpms and made X work again.
>
> I then noticed that you had references to selinux in permissive mode. So
> I decided to disable selinux and reinstall the newer rpms with up2date.
> They are currently installed. I did not close down X yet to see if it
> will come back alive.
>
> My theory is that something did not get installed properly because of
> selinux. I am just trying to determine if this is a real X or selinux
> not installing the needed files properly. This happened to me before
> when installing packages w/ selinux in permissive mode.
>
> My guess is that X won't come up again and selinux is not the problem.
>
> I'll know shortly. :-)
>

> Jim

It was the actual xorg-x11 packages. I had to reinstall X to the earlier
and eneded up getting some logs when I shut down. (xorg exiting after
the newer rpms were installed, ... NOT pretty) and one where X was
initialized after trying to restart X.

It looks like I can go back to selinux and hold off on the CVS xorg
until it is fixed for the 815 chipset.

Jim