Grub 0.95

Philip Pawley philip at alexanderworks.org.uk
Mon Aug 16 17:20:11 UTC 2004

Me of "switchdesk" and "sound server" notoriety again, sorry. It's a Grub conundrum this time.

I have often had occasion to write Grub to my master boot record using a Grub boot floppy. I have used every version since 0.92.

I use "install":

Today I used:
grub> install --force-lba (hd0,6)/usr/share/grub/x86_64-redhat/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0,6)/usr/share/grub/x86_64-redhat/stage2 (hd0,0)/grub.conf

That works fine. (hd0,6) is where I have FC2 - with Grub 0.94.

Then I tried installing grub 0.95 by replacing (hd0,6) with (hd1,0), which is where FC3 test1 lives. I got the grub.conf screen up fine, but nothing boots: it just shows the name of the choice I selected and hangs. I tried installing it twice - in case I had a typo the first time - but it still didn't work.

Now I have reverted to the Grub 0.94 from FC2 and everything is hunky-dory.

Is this a bug in Grub 0.95?

Thanks,

Philip Pawley