Radeon and X seem to be working better with the CVS version

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Sat Aug 21 07:02:08 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:
> I wanted to ensure that the newer version of xorg-x11 would work on the
> laptop using the radeon driver. Problems were reduced with the newer
> version. With the previous version, launching tuxracer (as a test) would
> end up crashing the server.
> The game comes up and no longer corrupts the display.
> Being a laptop computer, I never ran it constantly to really test X. It
> crashed randomly once when X was left running to share files overnight.
>
> This is running on an FC2 system that xorg and only it's deps.

Thanks for the feedback Jim.  The radeon driver had a few bugs in it
which took a while for people to track down, but it got fixed this week
in CVS and should be much more stable now.  The X.Org 2nd release
candidate (6.7.99.902) is shaping up nicely now, and there should be an
RC3 release in the next day or so too.

If anyone testing the new xorg out finds any new problems, please feel
free to discuss them here, and also, please file a new bug report about
the issue(s) in X.Org bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org in the
"xorg" component.  Feel free to add me to the CC list (as
mharris at www.linux.org.uk) of any X.Org bugs you file upstream, and it
helps me to keep a closer eye on the issues also.

Thanks again for testing!