make world - xorg .. CVS source

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Sat Aug 21 07:13:26 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:
> After downloading the src rpm and installing the rpm, from the SPEC
> directory, I then ran the below command on the spec.
> rpmbuild -bp --target i686 xorg-x11.spec
>
> Now from the BUILD directory with xorg in, I typed make world w/o
> editing anything.
>
> The compilation is taking place. What is the output? RPMS or compiled
> binaries somewhere? Will it be i686 archetecture?

The result will be a compiled X tree, that isn't installed anywhere.
The proper way to rebuild for i686, is to take the src.rpm and do:

rpmbuild --rebuild --target i686 <src.rpm>

I must warn however, that rebuilding X with target i686 is totally
untested and unsupported, and there are some changes happening right now
which might temporarily cause i686 rebuilds to fail.  That might occur
on Monday's rawhide snapshot.  If it does fail (which I hope it
doesn't), if you can whip up a patch to fix it and keep i686 ability
going, that'd be appreciated.  A similar problem might occur for
"athlon" rebuilds.

For those interested in why this might occur, it is due to host.def
being changed in a fairly major way tonight.  From now on, host.def will
be a static wrapper file which tests the architecture with C
preprocessor defines, and conditionally includes a new file named
"host-$arch.def".  I've tried to canonicalize all x86 architectures to
"i386" so there will be a single host-i386.def file used regardless of
wether it is i686, i586, i386, athlon or whatever, but I'm only
personally testing to make sure "i386" still works.  If others test it
and it fails though, patches are graciously accepted to make it work
again.  ;o)