Unable to connect to internet

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Sat Aug 21 20:10:10 UTC 2004

	All:

	I was really hoping to see that everyone had fixed this, but alas:
while downloading today's updates I received the error Segfault when
trying to update xorg-x11-xdm. apparently this was the last file that
was installing because up2date stopped soon afterward though it still
was reporting that that file needed to be updated.

	I tried several times, but up2date would not even try to update it
again and when I checked rpm -q xorg-x11-xdm I was told that the latest
version was installed.

	I tried to reboot to try the latest kernel and saw an error that I
could not connect to clock server nor synch to timeserver, but I figured
that the server must be down, but found out to my horror that I could
not get on the net, connect to mail server, up2date applet can't connect
to server nothing seems to be working.

	I found that iptables was altered and that there was no entry to
connect to clockserver so I disabled that in the clock preferences.
That stops the failures I was getting, but I still can't connect to any
sites.

My iptables are:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp any
ACCEPT     ipv6-crypt--  anywhere        anywhere
ACCEPT     ipv6-auth--  anywhere         anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere       anywhere    state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere       anywhere    state NEW tcp dpt:http
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere       anywhere    state NEW tcp dpt:https
REJECT     all  --  anywhere       anywhere    reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited

Which to my untrained eye (and comparing to the FC2 ones) looks good

Anybody got a hint or two?

Scott