ACPI and suspend

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sun Aug 22 13:56:20 UTC 2004

On Aug 22, 2004, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:

> The default configuration of ACPI on my Thinkpad T41p is that closing the lid
> will turn off the back-light but leave the machine running.

> Is this the desired default behaviour?

FWIW, it is for me (and, in fact, it's the only way to turn off the
back-light)

> I had expected that closing the lid would give the same result that
> APM has always given and put the machine into suspend mode.

APM never did that for me, but then, I told it not to suspend :-)

With ACPI, you have to set it up.  Have a look at
/etc/acpi/events/sample.conf.  Create your own say suspend.conf file
in that directory, and then you can trigger suspend on say
button/lid.* (or the actual suspend button, if your notebook has one).
Took some digging of /var/log/acpid to find out the name, and it got
double-triggering when I first played with it, but that was good
enough for me.