Bug in Up2date resolution when packages marked skipped

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 24 03:25:04 UTC 2004

I noticed that when a package may have many different elements, such as
xorg-x11, updating will fail because deps might be needed from the
excluded list.

I had this happen because of adding xorg-x11 to my skipped packages
recently. The package that caused the conflict was
xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.7.9

What happened was a pop-up appeared indicating what will be attached to
this message. Since this package was marked on the skipped list, it
would not resolve.

As you can imagine, with the pop-up dialog box, it scrolled off of the
top and bottom of the screen.

I did not search bugzilla regarding this sort of error. I don't think
that too many excluded packages would contain so many rpms per program.

I removed xorg-x11 from the skipped programs list and installation
continued normally.

If someone needed "watched" packages added to their skipped lists, this
might be some problem that is worth looking into.

attached pop-up with xorg-x11* added to skipped package list.

If this is by design, maybe some method for determining the group the
program belong to when skipped programs selected might be a nice add-on
feature.

Jim