Kernel or Xorg what is the problem?

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Tue Aug 24 18:29:26 UTC 2004

Hi list:

After a weekend of cursing, I got my system up and running this A.M.
only to be puzzled by the sudden failure of my machine to properly
display vga modes after X is started.

My boot param includes the instruction vga=792 so that I get a nice Hi-
Res screen during boot-up and that works fine until rhgb starts up and
then I get a blank screen until Gnome starts and then I have a nice
normal 1280 X 1024 display.  If I do a Ctl-Alt-F1, I get an unreadable
display at the top of the screen (the balance of the screen still looks
like my Gnome background) The unreadable display is the console, as I
can see the cursor and if I then force a reboot with Ctl-Alt-Delete I
can see that screen scrolling data, I also can move a mouse pointer
within that area (though it appears as 5 blocks across the screen.

Well I was just about ready to file a bugzilla, when I tried a reboot to
an older kernel (2.6.8-1.524) and under that kernel the screen modes
work as expected. (though I have only the 1 resolution in X)

So has anyone else seen any of this? I tried to look in
freedesktop/bugzilla, but found no bug there.

Scott