problem with hal-0.2.97.cvs20040823-1.i386.rpm

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Aug 25 09:28:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 10:07 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Anyone else seeing this? Before I dig into the script logic looking
> > for a smoking gun?
> >

> Anyone who identifies this problem, please file a bug against with hal
> with the output of
>
>  'HALD_VERBOSE=1 /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no'
>
> running as root while having installed the latest .cvs20040823. Also
> attach the output of 'tree /sys'. Ensure there are no hald processes
> running before doing this.
>
> One of the changes that may cause this is that the hald process blocks
> until all device probing is complete. I will change that back so we
> daemonize immediately as a stopgap solution.

Alright, I've built a new hal-0.2.97.cvs20040823-3, not sure it will
make todays upload, maybe, we'll see. One way to work around this with
the .cvs20040823-1 package is to 'pkill hald' if your update hangs.

For the technically inclined, the bug was that hald forks at startup and
the parent sits and wait for the child to send a message through a pipe
to signal device detection is completed. Obviously this fails if the
child dies, then the parent just sits there. The child may die for a
multitude of reasons including the system message bus not being up.
Sorry about that.

Hope this helps,
David