gnome-volume-manager vs. automount w/ usb memory stick

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Aug 25 14:12:09 UTC 2004

> Fine... until you try to use 3 usb devices at once...

This should work fine with multiple devices at the same time.

> use them individually:
> I have a flash card reader   shows up as "flash"
> I have a usbstick    shows up as "usbstick"
> i have a usb camera  which shows up as "usbstick" when connected

fstab-sync doesn't use 'usbstick', that's updfstab from kudzu. Do you
have a /usr/bin/updfstab (this should be removed in a kudzu upgrade)?

Is your system fully updated? Do you have any symlinks
in /etc/hal/device.d?

You also need the latest release of hal installed which is
hal-0.2.97.cvs20040823-3. Release 1, which is in Rawhide, will work if
you kill the hald process and instead run as root as
'HALD_VERBOSE=1 /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no'. Attach the output if you
want to file a bug report.

> I connect them one at a time, the all seem to work, fstab updated
> and gnome notices....sweeeet. Disconnecting them gnome notices
> and fstab is updated.... sweeeet.
>
> I connect them in pairs, they all seem to work, connecting and disconnecting.
> double sweet.
>
> I connect all three BOOM, something goes horribly wrong,
> 1)flash card gets /dev/sda1 and "flash" mount point  fstab entry okay
> 2)usb camera gets /dev/sdb1 and "usbstick" mount point fstab entry okay
> 3)usbstick  gets /dev/sdc1  NO mount point  NO fstab entry
>
> now on disconnect with all 3 connected
> 3)usbstick removed /dev/sdc1 goes away
> 4)usb camera removed /dev/sdb1 goes away.. fstab NOT updated,
> "usbstick" mountpoint still exists
> 5)didnt remove the flash card, becuase well I wanted to use it :->
>
> 6)reconnect usbstick and it uses the pre-existing fstab entry that was
> originally meant for the camera with /dev/sdb1
> 7)disconnect usbstick /dev/sdb1 goes away... fstab NOT updated
> "usbstick" mountpoint still exists.
>

> I need to double check the camera and usbstick pairing. Maybe its a
> conflict in the mountpoint naming logic thats being used? Maybe
> "usbstick" is being used for my camera and my usbstick. I would have
> expected "second usbstick" or "usbstick1" or "not that other usbstick"
> as a second generated mountpoint.

You might want to clean your /etc/fstab for leftover entries (the ones
marked by 'kudzu' and do the same with the corresponding directories
in /media.

If it still doesn't work even with updated entries please file a bug.
FWIW, I've tested this with a lot of simultaneously connected USB Mass
Storage devices by hotplugging the hub they were on.

Thanks,
David