Bit by the bug

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Aug 28 06:45:52 UTC 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:08, Mark Haney <mhaney at interactsys.com> wrote:
> Since I got bit by the udev bug, question is, how do I fix it to get my
> system back up?  I've seen bits and pieces, but nothing that gets me the
> total picture.

If this is the bug of having a tmpfs file system for udev which conflicts with
SE Linux (and maybe other things) then the solution is to
edit /etc/udev/udev.conf and change the UDEV_RAMFS and/or UDEV_INITRD
settings.

This will require re-running mkinitrd to get an initrd image with the new UDEV
settings, so initially you will have to boot from an older kernel version.

If the UDEV_RAMFS option makes your machine unbootable even with an older
kernel then the solution is to boot from an install CD and then go to a
virtual console with a shell running (VC3 I think from memory).