system-conf-printer - more info

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 13:14:32 UTC 2004

Hi,

The saga of the hosed cups continues....

I've done the following so far

1. switched off nscd and cups via s-c-services
2. restarted the machine
3. opened a terminal window, su, strace -o print2.txt -f system-config-
printer

As with yesterday, the system ground to a halt (100% processor time,
lots of disc hammering). Unlike yesterday though, instead of a complete
hang, the desktop cleared (nautilus and gnome-panel then restarted,
though all applications I had been running had not been restarted).

strace seems odd. At the start of the 2Mb file, there are piles of
python bits not there (lots of things from /sbin and /usr/lib/python2.3
- such as /usr/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/ltihooks.pyo and ltihooks.so)

Towards the end, it seems that s-c-p is loading the printer information,
but then dies suddenly at the end.

If its any use, I'll tar.bz2 them (both the one from yesterday and from
today) - I would imagine 4.1Mb of text will compress nicely.

TTFN

Paul

--
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we,"
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our