Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Dec 17 08:37:32 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:10:52 -0500, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> > I find it *incredibly* useful for this information to be in the filename.
>
> The rpm tag space is a HUGE wasteland of crap at the moment... and it
> needs to be cleaned up and it needs to be used.

In fact changing this inside RPM would be a small disaster. It would
require all tools that handle RPMs to be changed, it would require a
change to the SRPMs format (possibly breaking compatibility), it would not
be backported and therefor only considerable in 4 years when older dists
phase out, and most likely also need a SPEC file change that becomes
incompatible with previous RPM releases.

While in fact the current implementation has no drawbacks, is used by Red
Hat since Red Hat 6.x (remember the kernels that have 6.x or 6x added) and
is generally accepted.