Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sun Dec 19 14:31:34 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:11:32 +0000, Willem Riede wrote:

> On 12/18/2004 07:47:35 PM, seth vidal wrote:
> > > We shouldn't have non-version-comparison data used to compare versions.
> > >
> [snip]
> >  release: versioning information for the release of the package. This
> > includes describing what distro the package is FOR. It should NOT
> > include telling the user where the package is FROM.
>
> I'm not so sure about this. The same n-e-v-r from two repo's can easily
> still be different - for instance, they can:
> a) have different dependancies,
> b) have different patches applied,
> b) be compiled with different options.

Exactly.

> If they have different dependancies, yum might actually be able to pick the
> package that's right for me. If not, how does yum decide? Ask me? How do I
> decide?

Welcome to the funny world of repository mixing. Yum cannot decide for
you what to do with the mention conflicts (yes, those are conflicts).
You must decide yourself. You can try to get aid from tools which you
tell about priorities and which try to be clever. But overall, it's
all fighting symptoms, not the cause of it.