FC4 - Installation memory test ?

richard mullens mullens at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 20 03:05:12 UTC 2004

I just built a new machine and booted up with FC3 and SuSE Professional
9.1 installation DVDs.

I tried the memory test that is available on the SuSE installation and
pretty quickly it found a bit that read back as zero when 1 was written.
As I had two DIMMs installed, I swapped them around and the bad bit
moved to the other address bank - as expected.

I think that such a test function would be useful in FC4 - unless (and
here I'm showing my ignorance) the boot sequence tests memory and marks
bad memory as unavailable.
Can one can tell the system about bad memory ?