What MS is saying about FireFox.

Cam Desautels cam at apt2324.com
Fri Dec 24 17:42:27 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 11:21:30PM -0600, Cam Desautels wrote:
>
>>>http://blogs.msdn.com/ptorr/archive/2004/12/20/327511.aspx
>>
>>This is disgusting and annoying.  The fact that he doesn't like that
>>firefox download is mirrored says nothing about the quality of the app.
>

> Seems like a reasonable point, though -- I doubt many people who download
> firefox from mirrors check to make sure the binary isn't trojaned. That
> could bite us sometime, and then it'd pretty much be Microsoft lauging.

True, but the tools are there.  The checksums are available.  If it
bites someone in the ass, it is only their fault for being lazy and not
utilizing the available tools.

But my point really was that even if the downloading system isn't secure
-- and I honestly don't know if it is or not, the mirrors could
automatically and periodically be md5ed -- does not mean that the
application itself is insecure.  Saying so is just irresponsibly
spreading FUD.

But FUD is an integral part of the MS marketing strategy.

--
Cam Desautels <cam at apt2324.com>      ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
http://www.BinaryUprising.com         against HTML e-mail   X