Games you want to include in Fedora Core.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 14:51:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:40:55 -0500 (EST), Allen Baylis
<allenbaylis at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> How about checkers, astroid 3D,pinball and Doom

asteroids and Doom are trademark protected, so you'll have to be more
creative than saying "trademarked protected name of game."

For example... Cube exists without trademark issues... and is a FPS
and similar to Doom in genre. But open source binaries aren't as
useful as the official binaries, because the official binaries embedd
some key signature checking to make sure you are using official
binaries to prevent some very blatant cheating from locally hacked
clients on the official game servers that are being run for
multiplayer.  I don't know about the technical state of the Cube
codebase, and I'm not sure if there is a way for Fedora to distribute
binaries which include a variation of  the internal signature checking
to prevent people from using locally hacked versions of the open
source codebase to cheat on multiple games.  This is certaintly
something that would have to appear in Extras first before it could be
considered for Core inclusion really.

-jef"liquid war is always a fun time waster"spaleta