New testing kernel.

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Dec 5 04:54:11 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> said:
> I just made a 2.6.9-1.698_FC3 set of kernels which fix
> a number of bugs (Full changelog below), including some
> of the more popular ones that were introduced during the
> last update (namely, smbfs should work again, and hopefully
>  the palm/visor oopses should be gone too).

Is there any chance that we could get the old MegaRAID driver built so
those of us not using the latest-n-greatest MegaRAID cards can use FC3?
See Bugzillas 135484 and 138590.

Basically, the new MegaRAID driver only works with MegaRAID cards with a
newer command interface.  Also, some cards with that command interface
are not in the PCI ID list (so the driver won't talk to some cards that
it would work on).  The idea of the new MegaRAID driver was that there
would be two: one for new cards and one for old cards.  However, nobody
ever wrote the driver for the old cards.  I proposed on linux-scsi that
the Kconfig.megaraid be changed to allow both driver to build (right now
the config only allows you to select the old driver if you say "n" to
the new driver), but that doesn't appear to have gone anywhere either.

According to the initial Bugzilla entry, the switch to the new driver
didn't happen until FC 2.92 (test3); major driver changes shouldn't be
made that late in the test cycle.  Also, the change was not done
correctly; the PCI ID files weren't updated, so anaconda loads the new
driver for every MegaRAID card (when it shouldn't be loaded for many of
them).

It seems like the real solution would be to switch back to the old
driver until either the new driver (or a second driver) can handle all
the cards or the kernel config and anaconda are changed to handle both
the old and new drivers along side each other.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>