New testing kernel.

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 9 17:05:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Jon Nettleton wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:44:27 -0600, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> > Once upon a time, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> said:
> >
> > > On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:11:47PM -0300, Alexandre Strube wrote:
> > >  > Is this related with logging out from gnome and, when the gdm screen
> > >  > should appear, the computer locks up hard? This is happening with latest
> > >  > kernels. I don't know what to do anymore.
> > >
> > > We've spotted that happening for a while with the RHEL4 kernel.
> > > It's started happening since we switched off the 4g/4g patch for some
> > > reason.  This one really needs solving before the current updates-testing
> > > kernel can be pushed as an update as it seems to affect quite a few
> > > people.
> >
> > Hmm, my father's computer does this (hard lock on GNOME logout) in FC2.
> > He can shut down or reboot, and X exits fine; he just can't log out (so
> > he has to reboot if he wants to log out and back in for some reason).  I
> > haven't had a change to diagnose it (and I definately didn't think about
> > the kernel).

> I don't see this behaviour on any of my Athlon machines running via
> chipset motherboards.  I do see it at work on a Dell Dimension 4550.
> My solution at work has been to use the SMP kernel.  I worked on this
> by hand and found that the problem didn't happen if I had APIC enabled
> in the kernel.  Not sure if this is the same problem, but it is
> definitely the same symptom.

In my limited attempts to reproduce this - I've had the hang with 698
a couple of times. But after I disabled DRI - I couldn't crash it (in
4/5 tries). This is with ATI9000 mobile (so could be a radeon issue)

But I've had to reboot today due to #142329 - now I'm back to 681 to
see if this issue is less frequent with the older kernel.

Satish