New testing kernel.

Thu Dec 9 17:34:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 18:19 +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 22:39 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:11:47PM -0300, Alexandre Strube wrote:
> >  > Em Qua, 2004-12-08 às 14:06 +0100, Kjartan Maraas escreveu:
> >  > > I'm seeing a lockup here when closing the lid on a HP nc4010 laptop.
> >  > > Didn't see that in -1.681FC3.
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > Is this related with logging out from gnome and, when the gdm screen
> >  > should appear, the computer locks up hard? This is happening with latest
> >  > kernels. I don't know what to do anymore.
> >
> > We've spotted that happening for a while with the RHEL4 kernel.
> > It's started happening since we switched off the 4g/4g patch for some
> > reason.  This one really needs solving before the current updates-testing
> > kernel can be pushed as an update as it seems to affect quite a few
> > people.
> >
> > There are a number of folks at Red Hat currently looking into this,
> > but please feel free to try disabling/enabling kernel options to
> > try and help track it down, as we're currently scratching our
> > collective heads over this one.
>
> I've seen a crash with the non 4g/4g one also though I'm not a 100% sure
> whether it happened when logging out from GNOME or afterwards -- I
> logged out and left immediately afterwards, after a 1 hour's drive it
> wasn't accessible remotely and when I came home Caps&Scroll-Lock where
> blinking.

I have had a similar problem here with both GNOME and Xfce (4.2 from
CVS).

The kernel resolved the problem that I had with the Broadcom NIC (b44)
however, which was great.

I did not note this new issue until I logged out the first time and then
it was reproducible each time from both desktops. It does not 'crash'
per se, but I get a hard lock up which requires a power down and re-
boot.

This is on a Dell 5150 laptop, 2 Gb RAM, nVidia video card using the
nVidia 6629 driver.

None of this happens of course with the 681 kernel.

Marc Schwartz