FC4 ISO suggestion

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Sun Dec 12 22:14:29 UTC 2004

> I would like to suggest that, for FC4, a
> second dvd ISO be created which just has the SRPMS.

It's easy to make a dvd of SRPMS from the CD-ROM .iso files.
Most of the usual problems vanish because the disc need not be bootable.

I checked the two scripts in  ftp://people.redhat.com/ckloiber ,
but wanted a procedure that didn't use so much disk space.  I found
something by googling for "RedHat 8.0 DVD from the CD ISO images"
[_including_ the quotes].  There are several copies on the web,
including an early one that Google did _not_ find when I searched:
http://www.rickertweb.com/~justin/Links/OS/linux/Make_RedHat_DVD_From_CDROM.html
and a partial copy that appeared in:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-February/msg00464.html

Anyway, what I finally used was
	mkisofs -v -pad -o heidelberg-src-i386-DVD.iso \
	-V "FC3-src-i386.2004-11-15" \
	-r -R -J -T -m TRANS.TBL \
	-x /mnt/tmp1/.discinfo \
	-graft-points /mnt/tmp1 .discinfo=.discinfo \
	SRPMS=/mnt/tmp2/SRPMS \
	SRPMS=/mnt/tmp3/SRPMS \
	SRPMS=/mnt/tmp4/SRPMS
after loopback mounting the four CD-ROM .iso files, and after creating
a new .discinfo file based upon the one from SRPMS-disc1:
	1099518735.522378
	Fedora Core 3
	i386
	5,6,7,8
	Fedora/base
	Fedora/RPMS
	Fedora/pixmaps
where I edited the "5,6,7,8" line.  This used no space other than
the existing CD-ROM .iso files and the created dvd .iso output.
According to the documentation, I could have burned the dvd directly
using 'growisofs' with the above setup, thus avoiding even the disk
space for the output .iso.