FC4 ISO suggestion

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Dec 13 01:46:06 UTC 2004

I would like to suggest that fedora adopt jigdo as a supported
distribution method for fc4.

With Debian - if someone I know needs CD's - it's not a problem that
what I have are DVD iso's, I just mount a dvd image and tell jigdo to
scan it when it makes the CD iso's and since the packages are the same,
I get perfect CD iso's with very little downloading - and the mirror I
choose doesn't have to have the iso's on it.

This would also rapidly decrease the amount of downloading needed to go
from fc4t1 -> fc4t2 -> fc4t3 -> fc4

Only packages that have changed between the releases would need to be
redownloaded because jigdo can scan the rpm's from your previous iso's.

Using jigdo to update from iso's from fc3 to fc4 probably does not make
much sense, as most if not all of the packages will have changed, but
using jigdo to get a fresh fc4 does make sense because your mirror only
needs the rpm's, it doesn't need the iso's - and it's a nice solution
where you can't use bt. And you can just download the dvd through bt
and then easily make md5sum matching cd iso's from the dvd iso.