A modest request

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Dec 16 19:51:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 02:48:32PM -0500, gslink wrote:
> FC and the other RH products as well need a way to turn on media check
> during install.  If there is a bad spot on a disc this can mean trouble.
>  Disc Druid allows a partition to be short formatted but there is no
> switch to allow media check during format.  This needs to be added.

If your IDE disk reports a media problem during install then that is a sign
you have real problems because it will already handle bad sectors
transparently on write and the install will (except for the boot block and
partition table) always write before it ever reads.

As such I'm not sure what such testing would gain.