Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 20:02:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:47:39 -0600 (CST), Satish Balay
<balay at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Also - 'rpm -qa |grep FC3' - currently has plenty of matches - I guess
> to distinguish between FC2 variant with the same release numbers. If
> FE continues the current 'fedora extra' way of providing the same
> version of packages to all releases (fc1/fc2/fe3) - It would still
> need the curent practice of adding such tags (a lot more than core)

Plenty of matches? I see a 'few' matches but nothing that would
indicate a policy statement inside Core.  Look at the package list of
fc3, you will see a 'few' out of the 1400 or so packages that have fc3
in the tag.  I don't think there is a policy in place that requires
any package in core to be generated with fc1/fc2/fc3 in the version
number. If those strings do appear, i think its more for the packager
maintainers own sanity than for users use.

-jef